We know it is time for Alumni Weekend when…the green grass and fragrance of the flowers beckon throughout the day and when the excitement generated by Commencement is matched by thoughts of welcoming hundreds of Ohio Wesleyan’s sons and daughters—and their families—back to campus.
They’ll share a fun-packed weekend which, this year, takes place May 16-18. Alumni who graduated in years ending in “4” and “9” will be especially welcomed and recognized as a variety of activities unfold.
“It’s a great time for our alumni to re-engage with their alma mater and connect with classmates,” says Emily Roudebush, assistant director of alumni relations and coordinator of Alumni Weekend. It will be a weekend filled with programs, activities, reunions, and recognition awards, with several opportunities to learn about the expertise of classmates during Alumni College sessions. Special highlights this year include presentations by:
- Dr. Ed Folsom ’69, the Roy J. Carter Professor of English at the University of Iowa , who will talk about “From Beeghly to the World: The Global Walt Whitman.”
- Dr. Richard Gordin ’73, professor at Utah State University in the Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation, will discuss “The Pursuit of Excellence in Sport and Life: A 40-Year Journey.”
- Dr. Sahan Dissanayake ’04, assistant professor in the Economics department at Colby College, will present “How Economics Plays a Role in Conserving, Reserving, and Restoring Nature.”
- Dr. W. Joseph Campbell ’74, Professor of Communication Studies at American University in Washington, D.C., will talk about “The Year the Future Began.”
- Maggie Smith-Beehler ’99, freelance writer and editor, will share her thoughts about “Portrait of the Poet as a Young Bishop.”
This year’s Distinguished Achievement Citation award winners being recognized are Alice Moore Batchelder ’64, W. Joseph Campbell ’74, Claudia Colton ’69, Lowell “Ed” Folsom ’69, and Richard “Rich” Gordin ’73.
Receiving alumni awards are Kathy Butler ’74, Ann and Dick Cassell ’64, and Kathe Law Rhinesmith ’64. Young alumni awards will be presented to Sahan Dissanayake ’04, and Maggie Smith-Beehler ’99.
Other weekend highlights not to be missed include: the Friday afternoon Golden Key Diploma ceremony, the evening Blues & BBQ dinner in the Stuyvesant Hall Courtyard, Saturday’s All-Alumni Picnic on the JAYwalk, the Parade of Classes, our All-Alumni Social Under the Stars, and the Sunday morning Convocation program in Gray Chapel.
For lacrosse fans—and others– join friends to cheer on the Ohio Machine as the Major League Lacrosse team takes on the New York Lizards at Selby Stadium, Saturday at 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the game box office and are $20-$25 per ticket.
For more information about this great weekend, visit the Alumni Weekend website at community.owu.edu/aw2014.