Alumni Success – Tom Goodman ’76

Tom Goodman ’76

Tom Goodman ’76

Tom Goodman says his experiences and connections at Ohio Wesleyan were important contributors to his personal and professional achievements.

“I’ve worked with Tom Jolly ’77 (The New York Times), Greg Moore ’76 (The Denver Post), Bruce Mohl ’76 (formerly of The Boston Globe) and Gordon Witkin ’77 (formerly of U.S. News and World Report),” Goodman says. “Think of the talent that I had the privilege to work with and learn from during that wonderful era at OWU.”

At the center of that experience was legendary OWU journalism professor Verne Edwards.

“Verne was incredible, and he pushed us to be the very best we could be as aspiring journalists,” Goodman recalls. “When I graduated, it was Verne who recommended me for an open reporter-photographer position at The Delaware Gazette. There were many journalism classmates who were much better than me and unquestionably more qualified, but they either turned Verne down or he couldn’t reach them. So that’s how I ended up at The Gazette.”

At J. Walter Thompson, Goodman worked on national media-relations campaigns for renowned companies such as Eastman Kodak Company, Bausch & Lomb, and Eli Lilly. During his career at ABC and CBS, Goodman worked on such major news events as: the U.S. invasion of Haiti; the Chinese student uprising in Tiananmen Square; the 1984, 1988, and 1992 Democratic and Republican National Conventions; the TWA Flight 847 hijack crisis in Beirut; the Israeli invasion of Lebanon, and the centennial celebration of the Statue of Liberty.

At CBS News, Goodman directed public relations campaigns for the “CBS Evening News with Dan Rather,” “60 Minutes,” “48 Hours,” “CBS This Morning,” “Sunday Morning,” “West 57th” and “Face the Nation.” He was CBS News’ primary spokesman.

When he decided it was time to launch his own company, Goodman reached out to another Ohio Wesleyan alumnus, Roy Bumsted, ’71.

“Roy helped put Goodman Media in business by providing me with his professional guidance, as well as office space when we launched in 1996,” Goodman reflects. “Roy continues to be a trusted advisor and loyal friend after 16 years.”

Goodman Media quickly became a leading media relations agency, representing major media companies in television, radio, newspaper, magazine and book publishing, and other areas of entertainment; electronics, retail, and other consumer companies; health care organizations; professional services firms in law and executive recruitment; transportation companies; business and trade groups; and non-profit organizations in the arts, education, and advocacy.

And as the years have gone by, Goodman says his Ohio Wesleyan network of contacts has continued to play an important role in the growth of his business.

“Several classmates have sent business my way over the years, including Jim Harman, ’77, when he was at General Electric; and others, including Bob McFarland, ’78, and Rick Marks, ’74,” Goodman says. “I think my story is probably one that can be repeated by many Ohio Wesleyan alumni. The education I received at OWU and the lifelong connections I made as a result have been a major factor in the success and satisfaction I have been able to achieve.”

Back to the Fall 2012 issue of OWU Magazine

Comments: